WHAT IF I LOST A PET
- Click HERE to file a missing pet report online OR call (260) 833-2877 during normal business hours.
- File a report in person at Steuben County Humaine Society
- Come to the shelter located at 780 Shelter Lane, Angola, IN 46703
- Visit the shelter in person to see if your lost pet is here
- View photos of animals that have been brought into the shelter
Please note: Submitting a lost report does not guarantee that we will call you if your pet comes in. Unless the pet is microchipped or has a valid ID tag on its collar when found we may not know the animal is your pet.
Retrieving a lost animal
- You must physically come to the shelter to claim your animal
- A photo ID, such as a driver’s license is required to redeem your pet
- Additional proof of ownership, such as the pet’s picture, microchip verification, and/or vaccination records may be required
- There are fees to reclaim your pet. They are as listed below: First redemption $15 Second redemption $50 Third redemption $75 Fourth and subsequent redemption $100
I’ve reported my lost pet, now what?
Don’t rely on your lost pet report and our website to determine if your pet is at the shelter. We recommend you continue to visit the shelter to walk through the kennels to see if your pet is with us.
WHAT IF I FOUND A PET
Have you found a lost animal and not sure what to do? Please don’t assume the animal has been abandoned or abused. Pets can be missing for a long period of time and may appear neglected or scared. Here are some tips on how to help the animal reunite with its family.
- Check to see if the animal has identification tags
- If the animal has a city registration tag we can trace it. Call (260) 833-2840 and provide a dispatcher with the tag number along with the description of the animal and we’ll be able to contact the owner.
- Click HERE to file a detailed report of the animal you’ve found.
- You can also file a found report over the phone by calling the shelter
- You can also take the animal to any vet office to get it scanned for a microchip
- Please provide as much detail as possible!
- You will be asked to bring the animal to the shelter so we can check for a microchip
- You do have the option of keeping the pet in your home until the owners are found
- If the owners are not found you do have the option of adopting the animal if interested
- If you do not want to keep the animal in your home until its owners are located you can bring the animal to the shelter at 780 Shelter Lane, Angola, IN 46703 during normal business hours.
Still working on this, we can move the REHOMING SERVICES to a separate page since there are already much information above.